Summer is in full swing and the streets of Detroit are bustling with all the excitement that warm weather brings. From biking and kayaking to movies in the park and more, here are 10 summertime activities you can enjoy. But don’t wait too long to cross these off your summer bucket list. Before we know it it’s going to be snowing again, right?
- Kayaking on Belle Isle: Detroit River Sports offers kayak and paddle board rentals from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekends on Belle Isle. Cost is $15 per hour or $50 per day for a single kayak, or $20 per hour or $65 per day for a tandem kayak. Stand up paddle boards are $20 per hour or $60 per day.
- Wheelhouse Detroit Bike Tour: From the murals of Southwest Detroit to the culture of Hamtramck, experience and explore the city’s architecture, public art, history and much more all from two wheels on a guided bike tour with Wheelhouse Detroit. Tours start at $25 – add $10 to the tour cost if you need a bike rental.
- Bocce at Buddy’s Pizza: A good old fashioned game of bocce ball is the perfect summer pairing with some delicious Detroit style pizza. Play on these historic courts for FREE when you dine at the original Buddy’s location in Detroit. Don’t know how? The friendly staff are more than willing to show you the ropes. Beer, bocce and Buddy’s Pizza – what more can you ask?
- Movie Night at New Center Park: Each Wednesday night during the summer, New Center Park offers free outdoor movie showings at 9:30pm. Enjoy classics like Dirty Dancing and Sixteen Candles on a blanket in the park. It is a licensed venue so leave the picnic basket at home — food, beverages and cocktails are available for purchase. They also have free alfresco jazz and blues concerts on Thursday evenings.
- Sand Volleyball at Z’s Villa: This historic Detroit house/bar/grill not only has great food and a cool atmosphere, but they have a sand volleyball pit in the back yard. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are reserved for league play, but you can get a group together and play on the court for free after enjoying a bite to eat. Just call ahead to make sure it’s available 313-874-2680.
- 4th Fridays at Campus Martius Park: It seems like there’s always something happening at Campus Martius Park in the summer. Spend a Friday enjoying free live music concerts, food, drinks and marketplace shopping during the regular 4th Friday events. While you’re there you can stick your toes in the sand at the Beach at CMP or sip a summertime cocktail on the patio at Fountain Bistro.
- Detroit Segway Tour: Alright, so by now we’ve gotten used to seeing people zip around the city on Segways, right? See what all the buzz is about and take your own tour to experience Detroit in a whole new way. You can ride along next to an experienced guide on a variety of themed tours, or create your own adventure and rent a segway. Rentals are available from 10am to 6pm daily through October.
- Rockin’ on the Riverfront Concerts: Rock and roll returns to the Detroit Riverfront this summer for the annual Rockin’ on the Riverfront free summer concert series. Classic rock fans look forward to this event each year, with bands like The Romantics and Loverboy hitting the stage. The series features six free consecutive Friday evenings of rock and roll fun starting July 12.
- Diamond Jack’s River Tours: Cruise the world’s busiest international waterway to see the sights of Detroit and Windsor aboard the double decker Diamond Jack. Beer, wine, snacks and soft drinks are available for purchase on the two hour narrated tour. Tours run twice a day on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until September. Adult tickets are $17, but keep your eyes peeled and you might catch a Groupon deal. Don’t forget about the Princess, too!
- Yoga in the Park: PopUpYoga313 offers regular outdoor yoga classes at Palmer Park and Lafayette Greens. Relax and recharge with some amazing yoga while enjoying the beautiful park scenery this summer. Check the weekly schedule for details or follow them on Facebook for the latest updates. If you’re free Friday night, stop by Lafayette Greens for a big outdoor yoga jam on June 28 at 7pm, tickets are $20.
What activities are on your Detroit summer bucket list?
[Photo: Detroit River Sports via Facebook]
[Photo: Buddy’s Pizza via Facebook].
Share This Post!Tweet