It’s hard to believe August is already here, but summer isn’t over just yet. There’s still plenty to see and do this summer in Detroit. From concerts and volleyball to a muddy 5k race, here are a few events happening this weekend you may want to check out:
- Beach Volleyball on the Detroit Riverfront: Sand Volleyball is now available at the Detroit riverfront as well as a variety of riverfront beach amenities. Relax with friends and family in newly placed Adirondack chairs, chaise lounges and beach slings. You’ll be able to borrow volleyballs on volleyball nights, Mondays & Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm, and the café will offer food and drink specials. Open volleyball play is also available on Saturdays from noon to 3 pm, but BYOV (bring your own volleyball) on Saturdays.
- Rooftop Comedy Showcase at Bookies Bar & Grille: Thursday, Aug. 1 from 10pm to 2am. Stand-Up in Detroit presents the Rooftop Comedy Showcase every Thursday at 10 pm at Bookies Bar & Grille. During the free comedy show, featuring new comedians every week, Bookies will offer ½-off appetizers, $5 mason jar beers, $4 bombs and $4 martinis for the ladies. Bookies is located at 2208 Cass Avenue in Detroit.
- Science Rocks – After Hours Party at Michigan Science Center: Friday, Aug. 2 from 6pm to 10pm. Join The Michigan Science Center for a special night of rockin’ entertainment and fun for all ages. The Science Rocks party features a reduced cost to the special exhibit The Science of Rock ‘n’ Roll along with our Laser Magic shows in the Dassault Systèmes Planetarium. Guitar Hero, cash bar, food and a great band will be part of the afterhours fun in Midtown Detroit.
- 8th Annual Backpack Music Festival at Belle Isle: Saturday, Aug. 3 from 8am to 9pm. The 2013 festival will feature the city’s premier electronic, techno, house, funk, and hip hop djs, as well as musical and visual artists. The 8th annual backpack music festival fundraiser will help provide backpacks and school supplies to children in need.
- Vinyl Record Album Sale at the Detroit Public Library: Saturday, Aug. 3 from 10am to 4pm. The Detroit Public Library Friends Foundation will host a one-time only LP and vinyl sale. Browse thousands of interesting, rare and collectible records, jazz, gospel, classical, rock, show tunes and other genres available for purchase at this one day sale. Proceeds will benefit the E. Azalia Hackley Collection of the Detroit Public Library.
- Muckfest MS Detroit Race at Belle Isle: Saturday, Aug. 3 at 9:30am. MuckFest™ MS is a mud and obstacle fun-run. The five-mile course features a gauntlet of muck-filled mazes, pits and craters with over twenty gigantic steel obstacles. The fun doesn’t stop when you slide over the finish line. There’s beer, great food and music in the MuckFestival area. 100 percent of fundraising dollars go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
What else is going on this weekend in the D? Let us know what you’re up to in the comments.
Photo courtesy: Detroit Riverfront Facebook, MuckFest MS Facebook
Share This Post!Tweet